Monday 15 December 2014

Tablet Use --Photoshop versus ArtRage

This past year, I got a Wacom tablet.  I've been using the ArtRage software that came with it to create paintings.  I have also used Photoshop, but I do prefer ArtRage for a number of reasons.
1.  ArtRage is extremely user-friendly.  It doesn't require hours of reading and practising  
     before a person can use it effectively.  
2.  It provides numerous pens, markers, brushes, and canvas/papers in which to create 
     your piece.
3.  The blending on it gives a smooth finish.
4.  Using the tablet pen gives a "real brush" feel when working with ArtRage.
5.  I find that ArtRage allows me to work on painting ideas prior to actually painting 
     them.  I can decide on a colour palette, what I want to add/subtract to the 
     foreground, and try new ideas.
6.  It gives a "realistic" painting when I'm done.

I still find that Photoshop is still the best when working with photographs. 
1.  I often use it to see what mat board colours look best with my watercolour paintings.  
     It has saved me lots of cutting time and mat board because I often change my mind 
     when I see how colours change the feel of the painting.  I often check with family 
     members what their preferences are when I do this.  It's a great help and time saver.
2.  I use it to put things into grey scale to check for values.
3.  I use it to crop images, cut out and paste images, and adjust the image to improve the reference photograph.

Here are some samples of my tablet paintings using ArtRage.
 

 
 

The above images are under copywrite and can only be used with my permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment