Sunday 31 July 2016

Pebeo Prisme Paints

I came across Pebeo products when I was doing some research.  

Pebeo makes a number of different products.   They do make paints, but it seems that a lot of their products are for solvent-based media that can be used to create special effects.

I have only tried the Fantasy Prisme, so that's what I will review.

I picked up a sample pack from Michael's.   It included small pots of black, cream, purple, green, red, and gold.  I also picked up a larger pot of teal (not shown).  They are expensive and it is easy to use them up quickly, especially if you decide to just pour it onto a canvas.  I would say to try them on a small painting or area of it first.

When using these, there are a few things to remember.
     1.  Because these are solvents, they need to be used in a well ventilated room or    outside.  I would recommend outside as they have quite a strong odour.
     2.  I found a clear plastic 12" x 12" container that had a lid on it.  It was large enough to put in a canvas or a piece of watercolour paper.
     3.  Because this is very fluid, make sure that your surface is level.  Otherwise, it will flow in a way you may not want.
     4.  They need to be stirred well before using.  This is because they settle into the different components and need to be mixed before they can be used.  I used a popsicle stick.  Take your time doing this as if it is not mixed well, it may not produce the effect.
     5.  You can either pour this or use a dropper.  I had a small plastic disposable dropper.  I prefer this as I hate cleaning things out.  I figure that it was a small cost that I could handle.
     6.  I dropped the colour onto the surface and mixed it if I used more than one colour.   It needs to be put on thickly for the effect to be created, so you can't skimp.  You can tip it to get it to move and mix.  Once it begins to dry, I would leave it be.
     7.  Then, I let it sit.  I closed the lid to my container so that I wouldn't get any bugs into the solution. Periodically, I would check it to see the effect just by looking through the lid.  I left it outside on the table for a good 4 hours.  This allowed it to set up a bit before carrying it inside to my studio.  I then left it inside the container to completely dry.  This took about a full 24 - 36 hours.  It still had a bit of a smell to it.  

The effect that Prisme gives you is a honeycomb look.  I find it quite striking.  Below are a few of the sample pieces that I've done using it.  They are parts of paintings that I have used it in.


I would say to give them a try.  Perhaps later on, I'll give some of their other products a try.

pebeo.com








No comments:

Post a Comment