Monday 14 December 2020

Alcohol Inks

This year, I decided to give alcohol inks a try.  I took a class that went over the basics.  It was very good.  That is something I would recommend as it's quite a different medium and there are some important things to know before using it.

Here are some pointers about using alcohol inks.

*Make sure you have really good ventilation.  The smell is quite strong and it would be easy to become light headed without having a window open and a fan to clear out the room.  Because of this, I have done alcohol inks outside.  I just have to make sure that it is a calm day and that I have room to set up everything.  

*I have used Staples brand photo paper.  It's affordable and readily available as it is easy to go through a lot of it trying out different inks.  I use the back side which doesn't have any printing on it.  I'm not sure if matters much as I have mistakenly used the front glossy side.  It still worked although I'm not sure it will adhere as well and not fade as much.

* I have bought white tiles from Home Depot.  I have bought the 6"x6".  They work really well and are certainly cheap.  

*I buy my canned air from the Dollar Store.  Sometimes it's tough to find and they often don't have a lot of it in stock.  I have found it in the business supply area, but asking the staff is sometimes necessary.  I use this as blowing through a straw can take a lot out of you if you have a lot to do.  The canned air works really well, but you can go through a can in a short period of time.

*Finding the sealing spray and the UV spray can be difficult.  I have lucked out and found some at Walmart in the art supply area.  I have used the Kamar Varnish and the UV Clear.  They work well.

There is a very active communities on Instagram.  Search for "alcohol inks"

Here are some of my pieces.


 This is on a black tile.






No comments:

Post a Comment