Tuesday 15 December 2015

Paper by FiftyThree app


This is the first drawing app I'm going to try.  I chose this one partly because it is free on the App Store.

Initially, when I did some internet research, this app could be used to create notebooks that then could be printed off like a Moleskin.  I thought that this might be something that would be neat if you had a number of sketches done while on a holiday.  It would be a nice keepsake.  Once I started to use it, I found that printing books like a Moleskin was no longer available (at least when I went to try it).  There is an option to print it yourself or save it as a pdf file.

This app has a limited number of tools that they have made free when you download the app.  It includes an eraser, a nib pen, a pencil, a marker, an ink pen, and a water-colour brush.  It also has a cutout tool, a roller, and a ruler tool.

It has a set of premix colours that can be chosen, or they can be combined to mix a unique colour that can be saved.  It works really slick and gives a wide range of colours.

Some things that I've notices are that there is no way to adjust the size of the various drawing tools.  I guess the only way would be to enlarge the image on your tablet and then use it for small items.

This is the tool bar.



Here is a quick cover design I did.  It think that the line down the side is to emulate the elastic of a Moleskin. The pre-made covers that are shown on the Paper website are no longer part of it.  When I contacted them, it was explained to me that they had to take those out to make room for other components.  I thought that I could perhaps import a photo to use, but that doesn't seem an option.  It looks like I might have to take a picture of something and then use it or create a painting on the cover.  


Below, I did a sample of each of the drawing tools to show what they do.  I did some lettering, underlining, a curved line, hatch marks, and a squiggle for each one as a comparison.







I did this using the Brush to show the range of tone when applying it over and over again.  It does maintain a watercolour effect.










The app provides grid paper, so I decided that I would make a colour chart of all their pre-made colours.  It was also a good exercise in using the stylus to carefully fill in the squares and to erase any colouring outside the lines.





They also have lined paper so I used the stylus to do some lettering.  I felt like I was back in elementary school doing a page of writing.  I have to say that I was pleased with how accurate the stylus was in being on the line itself.






Below are a sample of some of the other tools provided by Paper.







The cutouts allow for an odd shape to be drawn and then moved or taken out completely. 
















The ruler tool allows for drawing like a pen, but it also gives perfectly straight lines and shapes.  This could be very handy when drawing buildings and horizon lines.  It's always tough to get those straight lines freehand.











The roller can be used to fill in large spaces as well as to create shapes.  It can create a leaf shape, petals, or swoops.










When I was out driving yesterday, there was a beautiful sunset.  I felt that I had to try to create a painting using it for inspiration.  I used the ink pen to initially put in the trees, then used the brush to add colour.  I did try the marker, but found it too harsh.  I found the app allowed me to blend colours with my finger after putting them on with the brush.  I was pleased with the result.




As I work with Paper, I'll continue to add in some thoughts and drawings.
I have found an excellent site for tutorials.
               https://mademistakes.com/mastering-paper/
               http://www.fiftythree.com/think
               http://www.fiftythree.com/pencil

No comments:

Post a Comment